Sunday, November 29, 2009

And the beat blogs on

Tomas started a dialogue that resonated with a few people about the open ended blogging in our learning journals versus the channel posts. I see an opportunity to change from Apathy to Action and it begins with (I kid you not) pulling Kegan/Leahy off the shelf and turning the complaint into a commitment. We wish to unshackle our postings and open them up to a more creative forum where the room to explore might be infinite.

To answer the call of self directed learning, we call upon our learning circles to come together and set thier own agenda with the help of PDPs and faculty to align with the direction of the overall course and allow for deeper exploration. Each learning circle can run their own creative session to help flush out their short and long term goals and what will help get them there. Faculty help with a framework to focus the effort and we use what we learned in this class to spread the knowledge.

I see Fogle's video blog(vlog) as a new medium to open up how we engage with our post and response program. Many of us seem to be fully engaged and excited about the new skills and tools we learned how to use. I feel we can expand on that by carrying it forward to the next semester  and role modeling what Christopher is trying to get BGI to do for the next incoming class.

The Crisis of CRL opened up what my learning has been from LPD, CRL, People and Teams and we can use these tools to design and persuade people that we are learning what the tools are and how to apply them for maximum effectiveness. Do you feel this could open up your learning for the reminder of the year?

2 comments:

  1. Matt-
    Thank you for taking my comments to the next level. I believe that we should push for this change. And am excited to try several new approaches over the next two terms to add to my skill set for when I leave BGI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt-- and Tomas--
    This makes sense to me. I am always conscious that under each complaint is a commitment: in this case I believe it is a commitment to get maximum value from our time at BGI, and for the school to be everything it promises to be, in every sense. Yes, BGI is a young school, and while the growing pains are felt by all of us, the opportunity to take this kind of complaint to action is huge.

    So for the record, I also feel that these Personal Learning Journal blogs have been not only of the kind of great value to me that I think both LPD and CRL are intending, but in fact have been a MORE effective space for the kind of free reflection those two classes aim for.

    My vote is more coordination between LPD and CRL, and that we find a way to integrate pretty much all the first half of Christopher's class into the curriculum of the entire school, primarily through LPD and CRL. Then EVERYONE gets the benefits of these skills and tools-- it kind of kills me to think that only some of us have access to this class-- and then when Using the Social Web for Social Change is offered again as a DLM course, the participants are starting with a well-established base of skills and can get going directly into what is currently the second half of the course. I would be happy to talk to anyone in the faculty or administration to tease out the details.

    ReplyDelete