Sunday, December 13, 2009

Letter to the North Pole, what class I want at BGI

If I were designing a class, I would like to learn skills that I could apply immediately, readings that are timely and relevant, a assignments that build upon each other in a logical manner and a project that has meaning and positive impact.

Wait I just took that class....

In order of magnitude of what worked:

Incorporating video as a medium of expression and Frank Lopez as a speaker, the combination unleashed a creative force within me. Since I found Adbusters, I have wondered if I would ever be able to create art that also be part of some greater change, now I know how.

Blogging, all of it drove home the discipline necessary to be successful as member of the online community and the tools to do so. The Beat blog generated alot of synergy for me as I began to focus on where to find my right livelihood. I needed some examples of the types of posts to get me started otherwise I felt inspired to get my voice out there.

The tagging exercise should be in LPD, it opened my eyes to how others saw me and how close that aligned with what became my personal brand. The branding was much harder, felt rushed and was one of the most timely parts of the class as it setup nicely with Right Livelihood.

The Social Change Project simply the most important assignment as the sole desirable outcome is change, which is why I am here. To see how social media can immediately impact a community was empowering.

Organizing my online presence at Linkedin Google, Youtube and Twitter offered me great insight into aligning my social networks so they respond to one another.

I loved the readings, so this is where I see room for improvement. Organization, too much information on one page, since we read about simplicity and complexity and how it affects influence made me think, less text on the syllabus and put more of the readings in a resources page with links to them for that week.

I am not sure Delicious deserved the hype it got. It seems right now someone else benefits from my tags and I can't find what I am looking for, I did not see the application of Delicious put into practice in class so other than putting my bookmarks on the web and off my computer.

I think a wiki should come out of this with all the terms listed. Post Mortem reminds me of CSI and something dead, I prefer After action revue or something else.

This is the first course to link me back to Adbusters and how I can participate in the revolution.

Thank you Christopher ! I hope the future BGI'rs will be able to take your class.

Cheers,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment